As a leadership applicant, you are coming to the final stages of being a camper. CSD & LIT years are often considered the best summers because it’s a culmination of everything you’ve been building up to as a camper. It’s a broader experience over a 4-week session with a group of peers and a leadership director. It’s a sense of greater responsibility as you take those final steps towards becoming a staff member. Our leadership camps satisfy the requirements for the Residential Project of The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
We offer the following 4-week leadership programs
For ages 15-16
- Counsellor Skills Development (CSD1) – July Session
- Counsellor Skills Development (CSD2) – August Session
- Wilderness Counsellor Skills Development (WCSD)
For ages 16-17
- Leader-in-Training (LIT1) – July Session
- Leader-in-Training (LIT2) – August Session
- Wilderness Leader-in-Training (WLIT)
At Camp Kawartha, leadership is about respecting one’s self, others and the environment. It’s about working in a positive team setting and helping others. It’s about participation, trying, and embracing challenges. It’s about demonstrating a positive attitude whether you are being watched or not. It’s about self-improvement and being the best person you can be.
Leadership Application Process
There is an application and selection process for our Leadership Programs. Campers have to demonstrate that they are prepared to meet the demands of the program through their previous experience, by answering relevant questions and completing a letter to why they would be an asset to the program.
- Letter to Applicants & Parents
- Leadership Application Form – for Summer 2017
– required for campers applying for leadership programs (CSD, WCSD, LIT, WLIT)
In reviewing the leadership applications, our process of evaluation and selection is based on 4 things:
- The application – we read the application and base its merit on the abilities to answer each question and how it ties into the program.
- Leadership suitability – based on the above, has the applicant demonstrated they are prepared to endure the challenges of the leadership program, will they be a positive influence to the dynamics of the group.
We wish to assist you with the process if you require clarity so feel free to contact the camp with additional questions throughout the process at firstname.lastname@example.org or 705-652-3860.
Fees for our leadership programs can be found on our Dates & Rates page which will be updated very soon (by end of October)
Subsidies are available for families that need financial assistance. For more information go to our Register for Camp page, and scroll down the page for the Subsidy Application.
All successful LIT and W-LIT participants will be invited to work as volunteer counsellors during our Nature Camp (Session N). This will give the applicants a valuable chance to use the skills they have acquired. Most Session N volunteers use these volunteer hours to meet their high school graduation requirements.