Leadership Camp Programs
At Camp Kawartha, the quality of our summer camp programs begins with the excellence of our camp counsellors and leaders. We have worked hard to create a first-rate leadership development program specifically designed to train young adults in the elements of safe and effective leadership.
Our leadership programs are designed to draw out the best in each leadership camper and to help them recognize that every person has something positive to offer. They are led by Senior Staff members who are caring mentors and role-models that can guide campers to strive, to gain confidence and to encourage others to be the best that they can be. Good leadership is ultimately about asking: what can I do to help myself and the world around me?
- Improve confidence, time-management, and communication skills
- Develop strategies to overcome obstacles and solve problems
- Understand group dynamics, leadership styles and the roles that people play within a group
- Obtain skills, knowledge, and experience to become leaders of the future
- Recognize that a caring community also means caring for and protecting nature
There is an application and selection process for our Leadership Programs. Campers have to demonstrate that they are prepared to meet the demands of the program through their previous experience, by answering relevant questions and completing a letter to why they would be an asset to the program
Information for Applicants
- Letter to Applicants & Parents
- Leadership Application – FAQs
- Leadership Application (paper version alternative if you are unable to apply online)
– required for campers applying for leadership programs (CSD, WCSD, LIT, WLIT)
Timeline for CSD & LIT Applications
- Mon. Oct. 22 – Application deadline (applications will be accepted after this date, but priority will be given to applications who make deadline.)
- Week of Nov 5 – Decisions of CSD & LIT Applications. All applicants will be called and followed-up with by e-mail during the week of Nov 5th
- Dec 17 – Deadline to accept and pay deposit
In reviewing the leadership applications, our process of evaluation and selection is based on 4 things:
- The application – we read the application and base its merit on the abilities to answer each question and how it ties into the program.
- Past Evaluations – past Camp Kawartha evaluations from our staff help us determine if the applicant is prepared for the leadership program. More recent camp evaluations carry the most weight.
- Oral evaluation – staff may be consulted who have worked with the applicant for additional information.
- Leadership suitability – based on the above, has the applicant demonstrated they are prepared to endure the challenges of the leadership program, will they be a positive influence to the dynamics of the group.
We wish to assist you with the process if you require clarity so feel free to contact the camp with additional questions throughout the process at adam [at] campkawartha.ca or 705-652-3860.
Volunteer Opportunity for LIT/WLIT Graduates
Both the LIT and WLIT programs are equivalent training programs to being considered for staff hiring the following summer.
All successful LIT and W-LIT participants will be invited to work as volunteer counsellors during our Nature Camp (Session N). This will give the applicants a valuable chance to use the skills they have acquired. Most Session N volunteers use these volunteer hours to meet their high school graduation requirements.