A Seasonal Recipe from the CK Kitchen
CAULIFLOWER RICE STIR FRY WITH TOFU AND VEG
● 1 large cauliflower , 1 large head should yield ~5 cups cauliflower “rice” ● 1 green bell pepper , diced into large pieces
● 1 red bell pepper , diced into large pieces
● ½ white onion , diced into large pieces
● 14 oz firm tofu , block
● 6 cloves garlic , minced
● 1 ½ inch ginger , minced
● ¼ cup green onion , finely chopped
● ¼ cup thai basil , finely chopped
● 2 1/2 tbsp cooking oil , divided
For the Sauce
● 4 tbsp tamari sauce , such as San-J Tamari or soy sauce (for a non gluten-free version)
● 3 tbsp coconut milk , lite or regular
● 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
● 2 tbsp water
● ½ tsp corn starch
● ½ tbsp chili sauce , more or less to taste (such as Huy Fong Chili Sauce or Sriracha)
Instructions To Prepare the Cauliflower Rice & Vegetables
1. Wash the cauliflower and cut into large pieces.
2. In two separate batches, using a food processor, quickly pulse the large pieces of cauliflower 8-9 times until uniformly chopped into rice-size pieces (should yield ~5 cups). Be sure not to get it too fine. If there are a few larger pieces still in the mix, chop them down by hand or remove them. Set aside.
3. To prepare the vegetables, add the diced red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions into the food processor and pulse 3-4 times until just chopped.
To Prepare the Tofu
1. Cut the block of tofu in half. Place each half in 2 clean paper towels one at a time and gently press/squeeze to remove excess stored liquid (without breaking up the tofu).
2. Cut the tofu into small cubes. Using a non-stick pan, pan-fry the tofu cubes on medium-high heat with 1 1/2 tbsp oil.
3. Gently Mix and turn frequently until all the water is burned off and the tofu is lightly golden brown on most sides. If you find that the tofu is sticking to the pan, add a little more oil or turn down the heat. Set aside. While the tofu is cooking, continue with the recipe.
To Prepare The Dish
1. In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Add the fresh garlic and ginger and fry for about 10-15 seconds until fragrant.
2. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers. Saute on medium-high heat, mixing frequently, until all the vegetables are tender, yet still remain crispy.
3. Add the cauliflower “rice” and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Stir-fry uncovered on medium heat, mixing frequently, until all of the water has released and evaporated and the cauliflower “rice” is tender, yet still remains crispy (~15 min).
4. In the meantime, whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Add more or less chili sauce depending on your preference of spice.
5. Once the cauliflower “rice” is done, add in the pan-fried tofu.
6. Add the sauce and combine well.
7. Saute on medium-high heat for another few minutes until the sauce starts to thicken, absorb into the dish, and coat the vegetables and tofu. If you find the dish starting to stick to the pan, lower the heat.
8. Add the chopped green onions and basil. Combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and serve hot!