Session N: 4-day/3-night Nature Camp
August 26 - August 29
Ages: 7-14, co-ed.
This unique camp blends our highly regarded nature programming with recreation, adventure and games in a jam-packed 4 day/3 night session.
Our nature-based programming for this camp session is endorsed by Ontario Nature.
• Our traditional camp activities such as canoeing, windsurfing, kayaking, drama, climbing wall, traditional skills and more
• Dramatized hikes depicting a year in the life of squirrels, chickadees and other animals
• A nature theme and associated activities for each day
• An eco-puppet show
• Exploring natural areas such as our fen wetland, our mature deciduous forest and meadows.
• Our famous all camp game called “Zing Tong”
• The unforgettable “Survival Game.” Campers take on the role of an animal found in this area. Hiding from danger, finding food and water, avoiding disease and natural disasters, campers must try to survive for the duration of the game.
• Nature campfire with musicians and storytellers
• A visit by the Indian Reptile Zoo showcasing snapping turtles, lizards, crocodiles, snakes and many other reptiles and amphibians.
For 10 months of the year Camp Kawartha operates as an outdoor education centre. We specialize in delivering nature-based programming. Our nature camp capitalizes on our expertise and enthusiasm for teaching children about the outdoor world.
The session will be run by our experienced counsellors, joined by several of our outdoor education staff. They are gearing up to provide a magical session full of laughter, fun and outdoor learning.
|7:00am||Loon Lunge, Animal Aerobics|
|9:30am||Activity Period #1|
|11:00am||Activity Period #2|
|2:30pm||Visit by the Indian River Reptile Zoo|
|3:00pm||Interest Choice Period (e.g. Eco Puppet Making, Animal Games, Forest Discovery Hike, Water World – an exploration of wetlands, Traditional Skills & The Edible Wild, Wonderful Wildflowers/Insects)|
|4:30pm||General Boat and Swim (GBS)|
|7:00pm||Recreation Period (Basketball, Volleyball, Bachi Ball, Horseshoes, Soccer, etc.)|
|7:30pm||Evening Program (Zing Tong, Nature Camp Fire, Eco-Puppet Show)|
|9:00pm||Ready for bed|
During this 4 day session, volunteers join the summer camp staff to conclude an exciting and energetic summer. All of our volunteers are experienced with the camp routine and site as they have all recently completed the Leader-in-Training program. The Leader-in-Training program runs for 4 weeks in July and 4 weeks in August. In the program they work with their director to fine-tune their skills, and with the summer camp staff gaining experience leading cabins and classes. Many of them are leaders in their community, and many of them aspire to work at a summer camp. Session N is an excellent way for them to bring all of their skills and experiences together and work alongside the summer camp staff that have prepared them all summer. The summer camp staff are actively involved as supervisors and mentors for the volunteers while also upholding their regular responsibilities in the cabin, and at the waterfront as lifeguards. They oversee regular daily programming, activities in the cabin during free time, and nightly camp wide programming. All of this to ensure that our high standards of safety, education, and fun are maintained until the last day of summer camp.
With the short Nature camp option Camp Kawartha provided my children with a fabulous introduction to camp life, which allowed them to build confidence moving on to longer duration camps, which they have both requested for next year.