Junior Canoe Trip – Girls (JTF)
July 2 - July 8
Ages: 12-13, girls.
This program is a great way to introduce campers to the love of canoe tripping. Of the many experiences campers remember, among their fondest is the overnight canoe trip. Camping under a canopy of stars, paddling on the water and cooking over an open fire are all experiences that forge life-long memories. Our Junior Tripping program gives younger campers an opportunity to learn the skills associated with canoe tripping; one of the most magical ways to access the Canadian wilderness.
In this week long experience, campers will:
• Participate in a day of planning meals, practicing canoeing skills and preparing for the 4-day canoe trip.
• Participate in a 4-day/3-night canoe trip in the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park
• Learn how to portage, campfire cookery, camp set up and take down, and wilderness survival
• Have a chance to learn about nature through games and activities while out in the beautiful scenery of the park
• Participate in the end of session Banquet and candle lighting
Among some of the wonderful learning opportunities of a canoe trip are:
• Building confidence and self-esteem
• Creating a sense of independence and self-reliance
• Developing teamwork skills
• Exposure to the beauty, solitude and grandeur of nature
• Building appreciation for wilderness by learning about the environment
• Perhaps creating a lifelong passion for camping and canoe tripping
All the tripping staff are qualified with Lifeguard and canoeing skills and have partaken in a 4-day Wilderness Advanced First Aid course. The trips are equipped with a cell phone and an extensive first aid kit to ensure safety while on trip
Please Note that the Boys & Girls Canoe Trips run concurrently and travel the same route together during the day but will camp on separate campsites overnight.