- This event has passed.
Algonquin Canoe Adventure (ACA)
July 23 - July 29
Ages: 12-13, co-ed.
This program is the next step in our tripping program. It introduces our campers to the wonders of Algonquin Provincial Park and the history of canoeing in our “own backyard.”
In this week long experience, campers will:
• Participate in a day of planning meals, practicing canoeing skills and preparing for the 4-day canoe trip.
• Experience travelling in a 26ft Voyageur canoe on Clear Lake (our lake)
• Share the culture and history of the canoe by visiting the Canadian Canoe Museum
• Participate in a 4-day/3-night canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park
• Learn how to portage, campfire cookery, camp set up and take down, and wilderness survival
• Have a chance to learn about nature through games and activities while out in the beautiful scenery of the park
• Participate in the end of session Banquet and candle lighting
Among some of the wonderful learning opportunities of a canoe trip are:
• Building confidence and self-esteem
• Creating a sense of independence and self-reliance
• Developing teamwork skills
• Exposure to the beauty, solitude and grandeur of nature
• Building appreciation for wilderness by learning about the environment
• Perhaps creating a lifelong passion for camping and canoe tripping
All the tripping staff are qualified with Lifeguard and canoeing skills and have partaken in a 4-day Wilderness Advanced First Aid course. The trips are equipped with a cell phone and an extensive first aid kit to ensure safety while on trip